Just last week I shared with you my humble home all decked out for fall.
Fall is everywhere in my home, but one of my favorite places is the way we greet friends and family with a good ol’ southern welcome!
Here’s my DIY hubby to tell you all the details:
You loyal readers of MM’s will know that I will make just about anything out of re-purposed fence boards! It is a completely free resource if you just keep your eyes open while driving around. Folks are always more than willing to let a pile of wood disappear from the yard.
One thing I have noticed is that it is important to stage the wood in various degrees of readiness. Some of mine is an actual fence in our backyard, but it’s just leaning on another wire fence – that’s in the weathering stage. Another stack has been de-constructed and the nails have been removed – this is the almost ready stage. The last pile is inside the workshop, dry and ready to go.
You’ll notice that the wood is pretty green looking in the picture below. That’s not new wood, it has just weathered that way. Sometimes I’ll pressure wash or even sand the raw slats, depending on how the wood will be finished. For this pumpkin project, a light over-spray with spray paint was coming so the green tint was not an issue.
The real appeal of this material is its raw, naked beauty. To take advantage of that, I typically let the project take on an intentionally distressed, imperfect feel.
For these pumpkins, I chose not to use a perfectly symmetrical pattern traced on the wood and then cut out. I first determined the length for the widest middle piece, then backed off each direction roughly two inches with each slat. The ends were cut with a chop saw and then rounded with a jig saw.
For extra distressing, I used a grinder with a 60-grit wheel (which is like gravel glued to sandpaper) and roughed-up all the edges. This also helped grab the orange paint a bit better. Since these were going in a flower bed, the vertical center stake was the anchor point and also the stem of the pumpkin, with a point on the other end to penetrate soil.
This was a super-fast, super-simple project. To finish it off I taped off each end of the center stake (props to my Frog Tape friends!) and over-sprayed with the Valspar orange gloss spray paint. Two coats here, just to enhance the color.
Same for the larger pumpkin. I love how the wood takes the color but also retains the imperfections in the grain.
For the record, a product shot.
Remove the tape and my work here is done! My bride will put on her finishing touches, but these are pretty cute and incredibly easy!
Marty here: I loved the pumpkins Tim made, but I just had to add my own twist to it.
I hauled out my trusty Cricut diecutting machine and went to work.
A good vinyl and transfer paper are necessary.
Here’s the pumpkin without the greeting.
And here it is so much more welcoming and happy!
There you have it!
To see more of our fence board projects simply click on the picture to be taken straight to the post.
Linking with: Between Naps on the Porch